Monday, August 22, 2011

Breakfast - anytime of day....


Those of you who know me well, I try to hide my obsessions from most people, know that when I get my mind set on something I can't let it go till I've perfected (or as much as I can) the object of my obsession.

Well, a couple weeks ago, the "fam" decided to have breakfast for Sunday dinner.  Now, Camille and I could eat breakfast 24/7, unlike Danny, Kathrine and Fred.  I got it into my head that we should make waffles, which is unusual for me because they're not very user friendly when serving a crowd.

I got out and dusted off my 2, count them, 2 waffle irons and decided to use some Bisquick for my waffle batter.  You must understand that my mind was screaming, NO, NO, NO, start from scratch, but even I do not listen to my mind sometimes.

BIG MISTAKE!  I've used Bisquick since I was a young married and have always had wonderful results, in fact one of my favorite coffee cakes I make using Bisquick (remind me and I'll tell you how to do it), but those waffles were the WORST things I'd ever tasted.  UGHHHHHHH!

Of course, now I had a challenge to find the perfect waffle recipe.  After leaving my 2, count them, 2 waffle irons sitting on the counter for 2 weeks, I decided I needed to get my behind in gear or they'd become a permenant fixture in my kitchen.  Naturally, I turned to Fine Cooking to do some research and found a recipe and tips that I felt might be very helpful. 

Well, yesterday was the big waffle day and I have to say, this recipe is a keeper.  It preformed just as promised.  The waffles were light and airy, crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside.  Using some of the tips kept the waffles warm and crisp till they were ready to be served.  Here goes.....

Light Crisp Waffles

3 1/2 oz. or 3/4 C. bleached all-purpose flour
1 oz. or 1/4 C. cornstarch
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
3/4 C. buttermilk
1/4 C. milk
6 Tbl. vegetable oil
1 large egg, seperated
1 Tbl. sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

*Heat your oven on it's lowest temperature setting and heat your waffle iron. 
*Mix the flour, cornstarch, salt, baking powder and soda in a medium bowl, mix it thoroughly.
*Measure the buttermilk, milk, oil and egg yolk in a large measuring cup and whip the egg to mix.  In a glass or metal bowl, beat the egg white almost to soft peaks, gradually sprinkle the sugar over the whites and continue to beat till peaks are firm and glossy;  Beat in the vanilla, (this can be done in a stand mixer if you like, just don't overbeat the whites).
*Pour the buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients and whisk till just mixed.  Drop the whipped whites onto the batter and fold in with a spatula just till incorporated, being careful not to beat down the whites.
*Grease or spray (with Pam) your waffle iron to keep your waffles froms sticking.
*Pour the batter onto the hot waffle iron and cook till the waffle is crisp and nutty borwn. 
*Set cooked waffle directly on oven rack to keep warm and crisp.  Repeat with remaining batter, holding the waffles in the oven (don't stack them on top of each other).  When all the waffles are cooked, serve immediately.

Variations:

Whole Grain Waffles - Add 1/4 C. wheat germ to the dry ingredients.
Chocolate Chip Waffles - Stir 1/2 C. chocolate chips or mini chips into the batter.
Cornmeal Waffles - Substitute 1/2 C. cornmeal for 1/2 C. flour (keep the cornstarch).
Cranberry Orange Waffles - Stir 1 tsp. orange zest and 1/2 C. chopped Craisins into batter.

Note:  You'll notice that there are weights and measurements for the dry ingredients.  If you're not sure about the accuracy of your measurements, try weighing your dry ingredients instead, your recipe will turn out the same every time.

There are a couple different things about this waffle recipe, namely, the cornstarch, a combination of buttermilk and milk and whipped egg whites with sugar.  The cornstarch and adding the sugar to the whites gives you the great crispy texture, you'd almost think they were deep fried, on the outside and the combination of buttermilk and milk, allows for the flavor of the buttermilk, but the milk lightens the batter to give you a wonderful moist, light center.

I LOVE the idea of placing them on the rack in the oven.  It worked perfect, but you don't want to leave them in there too long or they'll dry out.  I'd start your waffles about 20 minutes before you're ready to eat, keep them warm in the oven and you'll have great hot crispy waffles for a crowd.  Let me know what you think about this recipe.  It's my new favorite (well, actually, it's my only favorite).

Now, for those in my family that aren't great pancake, waffle or french toast eaters (what could possibly be wrong with them?), I made Hash Browns and Scrambeled Eggs.  Here are a couple tips:

When making Hash Browns or French Fries, remember to soak your potatoes in cold water after they're shredded or cut.  This removes the excess starch and makes them more crunchy.  Drain the Hash Browns a couple of times and replace with more cold water.  Make sure they're drained VERY well before putting them in your HOT skillet.  I'd fried some bacon for dinner, so I used some of the bacon grease in the skillet.  Get it really hot and start dropping in your potatoes.  Allow them to fry in the pan till they form a nice golden crust on the bottom, then give them a turn and allow them to brown on the other side.  I had so many in my 12 inch skillet, I needed to turn them in sections.  It took about 30 min. to cook 6 shredded potatoes (I left the skins on the potatoes for extra nutrition).  Just a little salt and pepper to taste and they were great!  Be sure to serve them hot.  If you have to hold them, you could place your skillet (make sure it's oven safe), in a hot, 350 degree oven till you're ready to serve.  Try not to hold them too long.

This is a little tip I received from a friend that worked in a restaurant.  When making scrambled eggs, whip your eggs and then add water, not milk to your eggs (if you've made scrambeled eggs and you see some liquid seeping from your eggs, that's due to the milk.  Use water and that won't happen).  Add a little salt and pepper and whip well.  Pour your whipped eggs into a HOT, greased skillet.  Allow your eggs to start setting up in the hot pan, then start folding them into themselves.  Do Not stir or whip your eggs once they're in the pan.  Start from the bottom of the pan and fold them up and over, forcing the unset eggs down towards the bottom of the pan.  You'll only need about 3-5 min. for your eggs.  Make sure that you don't overcook your eggs.  You still want them to be shiney and soft when you stop cooking them.  They'll continue to cook a little after you stop, so don't overdo.  This will give you a great light and fluffy scrambeled egg.  You can add herbs, cheese, peppers, whatever you like to the eggs.  Add your add in's when you pour the eggs into the pan, this allows them to be incorporated into your eggs as they cook.

Well, that's it.  Just add some great syrup, ketchup (for your hash browns), some yummy crisp bacon and you're good to go.

Breakfast is good served any time of day.  An omlet makes a great light lunch or dinner.  Serve it with a side salad and some fresh fruit and you'll be in breakfast heaven.  Try some tonight......

I think it's time to put my 2, count them, 2 less than dusty waffle makers away again.  I've accomplished my mission of finding the perfect waffle and served a great Sunday dinner to my family.  What more could I want?

Bon Appetite!

No comments: