Saturday, April 23, 2011

Mock ? - Berry Jam - Canning #3

Mock - as in pretend, not mocking, as in laughing at. I know that you, sometimes, think that I come up with some pretty crazy things, but this wasn't my idea, I just embellished on it.

In St. George, there are many people that have fig trees, however, I don't know that many people that really like figs. This creates a perfect opportunity for you to pick up some FREE fruit. Now, you may say, "why do I want free figs? I'm not so crazy about them myself." Well, that's where the MOCK, as in pretend, comes in.

You can make some crazy good jam with figs and alter the taste by adding jello and/or some dry Kool Aid powder.

I think that I'm finally finishing up my jams and jellies, ohhh boy! I had taken some figs out of the freezer and decided to make mock jam. In one batch I used blackberry and raspberry jello and in the second I used strawberry.

The reason you use the "berry" flavor jello is because of all those pesky little seeds in the figs. I don't think it's worth your time to try to strain the seeds out, but you could use a different flavor, like grape, just pretend the seeds aren't there - yeah.

As I was making the strawberry jello, I decided that the flavor wasn't intense enough, thus the dry strawberry Kool Aid powder. I often "kick up" the flavor of fruit by using some dry drink powder. Make sure it's not sweetened drink mix, just the dry powder. Use the same flavor your jam will be and whala, you have some really intense flavor. You can also increase the flavor of fruit jam, like apricot or peach by adding dry flavored jello to match as well. Try it next time you have some fruit that's not quite flavorful enough for you. You'll like it.

I'm including the recipe for the Mock (fig) Strawberry Jam (just change the jello to change the flavor) and another one for Mock (with green tomatoes) Raspberry Jam. Give them a try, the green tomato jam is great for those tomatoes that don't quite ripen at the end of your growing season.

Fig Strawberry Jam - Printed from COOKS.COM

3 C. fresh, peeled figs (mashed slightly)
2 C. sugar
2 - 3oz. pkgs. of Strawberry Jello (or 1-6 oz.)
1/2 C. water
1/2 slice lemon
5 - 8oz. jars

Mix all ingredients in a large pot. Cook on high heat until mixture comes to a rolling boil. Cook on medium heat 20 minutes or till thick, stirring occasionally. Pour into sterilized jars and process.

Note: I steamed my figs, with the skins on, because I froze them. I mostly pureed the fruit, because I don't like chunky jam. I added 2-4 Tbl. of lemon juice instead of the slice and increased the water to 1 - 1 1/2 C., to reduce the chance of scorching. You don't need to stir this jam constantly, but you do want to keep an eye on it so it doesn't scorch. If you increase the water, you may need to cook the jam longer in order to "cook off" some of the liquid.

Mock Raspberry Jam – by Miss Annie

“Another use for those unripe or end of season green tomatoes. It really does taste line raspberry jam! I got this recipe from Southern Living.”

Ingredients:

2 ½ C. green tomatoes, chopped

1 ½ C. sugar

1 – 3 oz. pkg. of raspberry Jell-o gelatin

Directions:

Combine tomatoes and sugar in a large saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring often. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Remove from heat. Add jello, and stir till dissolved. Pour mixture into airtight containers. Store in refrigerator for up to 1 week, or freeze up to 6 month.

Note: you may can and process this jam, just as you would for any jam or jelly. I would add a couple of tablespoons of lemon juice, which is common for jams and jellies and helps with long term preservation. I don't have enough room in my freezers for jam and jelly, I'd rather freeze fruit, so everything gets canned that's possible.

Well, there you go, I hope you give one or both of these a try. I'm thinking you'll like them.







s.

No comments: