Saturday, February 19, 2011

I've Been Thinking..... it's a dangerous thing.

As I was setting up my display for this month's class, I realized how often I use items that were my mothers or grandmothers. This, in turn, brought to mind a conversation I recently had with a friend about how "aged treasures" are no longer valued today. I'd like to put in a plug for those treasures......

Sharing food with your family and friends is a demonstration of love and the process of preparing recipes will often bring back memories of happy days spent in a kitchen or around a table with a mother, grandmother, friend or relative. It's why we often refer to certain dishes as "comfort food", because the memories bring us warmth and comfort.

As we treasure those memories and recipes, treasure the tools, linens, dishes, etc.... that our ancestors left behind as well. Use them in your life. Share them with family and friends.

Some of those tools may no longer be available, but they definitely had a purpose. Some of the things I have of my Grandmothers, are making a resurgence today, and they're not made nearly as well.

I have a couple tea sets of my Grandmothers. I don't drink coffee or tea, but picture using those dainty little cups and saucers to serve a French Cream or Chocolate Mousse for dessert at a "tea party" with your friends or daughters. How fun would that be?

Those linens that are no longer "pristine" tell a story of use, of families sharing meals and friendship.

Next time you go to your Mother's or Grandmother's home, ask them about the "treasures" they have. Find out the stories behind them. Make them a part of your heritage and share those stories with your children and grandchildren. We don't value anything that we don't understand. Memories are all around us, share them, relive them, preserve them.

No comments: