Friday, January 7, 2011

Name Brands vs Generic

In a conversation with my Cooking Class last night, we talked about the difference between name brand products and generic. I must say, I have some very definite ideas about some products.

In the world of food products, “all things are not created equally” and, believe me, you certainly “get what you pay for”.

If you’re one of those people that actually tastes their food and likes to “feel” the texture with your tongue, you’ll understand what I’m saying. If not, this may not make any difference to you at all. Over the looooooong years, I’ve found that certain products will give you the end result you want, while others will not. If I’m going to spend my valuable time cooking in the kitchen, I always want the best outcome, thus….invest in the best products.

My list of products that are non-negotiable:

I only use C&H sugar (this includes white, brown and powdered). C&H is a cane sugar, while most generic sugars come from beets. What I’ve found is that cane sugar dissolves better and completely, while beet sugar may not. If you’re having problems with your jams and jellies jelling, or thickening, it may be the sugar you’re using. If you feel a granually texture to your baked goods, it may well be the sugar you’re using. I realize you may pay a little more for C&H, but with the cost of all the other ingredients you’re using, isn’t it better to have a terrific finished product? I think so. C&H is well worth any additional cost!

I only use Crisco Shortening. There is nothing worse than baking something, or making a wonderful frosting and feeling a greasy slime on the roof of your mouth after you’ve eaten that “wonderful dessert”. If you like to sauté, pan fry or deep fry, you’ll get a much better end result with Crisco. I promise you won’t be sorry for switching to Crisco. If you’ve never experienced this or aren’t that aware of the texture of your food, trust me, you’ll be much happier.

I only use Best Foods Mayonnaise. If you live on the East Coast, Best Foods is labeled as Hellman’s. Either one, they’re both the same product. If you’ve had something made using Best Foods, and you try it with a “salad dressing” instead, I promise it won’t taste the same. I know that many of you are married to a salad dressing, like Miracle Whip (which is a great name brand if you like salad dressing), but the end result is definitely different. When a recipe calls for mayonnaise, please don’t substitute salad dressing…..

P.S. – I was raised on cheap mayonnaise and Miracle Whip, I repeat myself; I ONLY use Best Foods Mayonnaise!

Jello – what can I say? Jello is the brand you want to use for gelatin and pudding mixes. If you don’t think there’s a difference between generic and brand names, pick up a box of each – same product, same flavor and do a taste text. I promise you’ll see the difference!

Flours – I may not have a favorite brand of flour, but make sure that you use a company that always produces a high quality product. Most of the Mills out there are very reputable and I find that most flours are pretty much the same, brand wise, unless you’re using specialty flour. If you have a recipe calling for cake flour, buy a box and try it out. It really will make a difference in the end product. In baking, they talk a lot about “crumb”. If that’s not a concern of yours, forget the cake flour. However, if you’re always looking for a way to improve your finished product, try the cake flour, you’ll be surprised what a difference it makes. In the October cooking class – Pies, Pastries and Desserts, I talked about an article I read where they added ½ cake flour to their Puff Pastry dough. I tried it for the class, and I must say, it made a huge difference. I loved my Puff Pastry before, adding the cake flour, blew me away.

Always be mindful when storing your flour. It should be kept in a cool dry place in an airtight container. If you don’t rotate your flour regularly, by baking, store your flour in the refrigerator or freezer. Always be aware of items in your freezer or refrigerator that have a strong scent, like onions. Anything you store next to these items will pick up the flavor, so watch out.

Oils – Many people ask me about oil brands. I choose a name brand that’s on sale. As long as you’re using a good brand of oil, I think they’re pretty much the same. I use Olive Oil for much of my sautéing (I rarely fry). I always use extra virgin (I know that many chefs will disagree) because I don’t particularly like the strong taste of olive oil and I don’t like how it affects the taste of my food. Of the two, olive oil is better for you than other oils. I do not use olive oil in baking, with the exception of my pizza crust occasionally.

Just a Note:

I bought a store brand Maraschino Cherry for the December Candy Class. BIG mistake!

Did you know that slicing olives yourself will give you a much better flavor than buying pre sliced?

I love the taste and texture of Jiff Peanut Butter. “Picky Mothers Choose Jiff”. This one does.

Did you know that you CANNOT substitute cream for milk? You can substitute milk for cream, but not the other way around. It’s a scientific thing. Trust me on this! The end result will NOT be the same.

I use butter instead of margarine. If you’re attending the cooking class, you know this. I use soft margarine for toast, but butter for baking and cooking. Why? You may ask. Well, margarine is not the same today that it was 10 or 20 years ago. They’ve added so much water to the margarine now, there’s not a high enough fat content to make your baked goods work. Adding additional water to your recipe is not good either. If you’re not sure about this, just let a cube or tub of margarine melt on your counter on a hot day (in a bowl, of course) and you’ll see the water that comes to the top. Many “light” margarines, just have water added to reduce the caloric values.

Tuna is HUGE. If you like cooking with tuna, whether in sandwiches or casseroles, please use white tuna packed in water. I was raised on oil packed, light tuna. Trust me, white, water packed is the way to go. You won’t have that strong fishy taste and your recipes will be amazing.

Well, if you learn nothing else, please compare store brands to name brands. If you find a generic store product that you like just as well, or even better, buy it, but be careful when investing in a recipe – go with the name brand, then experiment later. If you do this, you’ll know what the original recipes should taste like and you’ll better be able to decide if the store brand affected the outcome or not.

No comments: